Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Oh, you're single???

So I was under the impression that, for the most part, the Spanish like to be very private about their personal life.  Apparently that doesn't mean they don't want to know everything about yours.  At the end of each first class with my students, I let them ask me any questions they wanted about myself or the US. They were very innocent questions about ever being to California or New York.  And they asked about my family and why I moved to Spain.  Finally, one of my 16 year old boys asked me if I had a boyfriend.  Before I could say that this was a personal kind of thing, another teacher looked at me and asked "yes! do you have a boyfriend??!!".  Awesome.  No, I said, no boyfriend here.  This lit the room on fire.  They went from shy kids who barely understood english to a bunch of rabid reporters.  "why don't you have a boyfriend?" "but you are so pretty" "how old are you? aren't you going to be married soon?"  "you should have a boyfriend, I know some older boys if you want help."  Now my class has turned into my very own dating service.  If this wasn't enough, they went ahead and told every single other teacher they have during the day as well as all of their friends.  By the end of the school day today I recieved at least 20 marriage proposals from my students, an offer to get "coffee" with a male teacher, AND one student even informed me that the leagal age of consent in Spain is 13.  I know, shocking.  He knew how to say "the legal age of consent in spain is 13" all in english.  I wasn't even mad.  As I left the building today, the girls students were screaming at me to meet their older brothers and the boys were shouting that they loved me and asking me to never leave them.  Spain just went from the greatest place ever to the most awkward place ever in about T-minus 2 seconds flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment