Tuesday, January 18, 2011

When the lights. Go out. In the city...

EEEEEPPPPPPP serious sebatical for about 4 weeks there, sorry dear friends and fam.  I completely neglegted my duties on this thing.  Well, I guess it happens to the best of us every now and then, eh?  So let me take you back.  All the way back to 2010 (I know, crazy, right?!)  The day was December 22.  Cold. Rainy.  Time for me to head back to the good old Los Estados Unidos.  For those of you that know me just a little bit are well aware of my incredible ability to procrastinate until the absolute last possible minute and with exactly 8 hours before I was supposed to leave my piso and head back to the states, I decided that I should finally start packing.  It was 10PM and all was quiet on the homefront on Cáceres.  I was just getting finished laying all of my clothes out and FINALLY about to start the actually packing process when my pretty little roommie Callie and I decided that we should probably take out the garbage before we forgot about it.  We walked down the five flights of stairs, disposed of our rubbish, and returned back up to a completely pitch black apartment.  AWESOME.  We tried the breaker and with the amazingly old spanish electricity through out the building, the only sort of light I could manage was the spark that flew when I shocked myself.  We went up to our landlord's apartment (yes it was 1AM but it's Spain.  Even the elderly are up until atleast 2).  He came down immediately and started checking every outlet, lightbulb, and appliance in our apartment.  After about an hour it was concluded that we couldn't see anything and there would be no hopes of light until the next day.  So, all that was left was to guess what was left to pack (everything) and take a much needed shower.  I opted for the shower first.  Welp, little did I know that our water is also electricity which would mean there was not a single drop of hot water to be found.  perfecto.  I had exactly 2 hours until I needed to be up and decided "the hell with it" and passed the heck out.  At 6AM I woke up and by the moonlight packed everything i thought I would need for 2 weeks in the freezing cold Mecca I call Ohio.  I took the fastest shower I have ever taken in my life that nearly gave me hypothermia to in time to get out of my cave of an apartment and start the trek to the airport via the Madrid Metro.  Normally I don't mind the metro.  However, when I have wet hair, a thousand pounds of excess weight in luggages and need to fight the morning commute in to work...not such a great place for me.  After an hour and 3 train switches later, I made it to my check in gate.  Within 20 hours, 6 time zones, and a quick stop in New York, I will be back in the homeland with the crazy little suckers I like to call mi familia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment